Monday, February 18, 2013

2 Stars and a Wish

Like most things I have learned as a lifelong educator, this little gem is so easily applied to my life as Mom.  When I was a classroom teacher I would often use the 2 Stars and a Wish strategy to give corrective feedback and encouragement. A conversation with a student would go something like this "Your story has a really interesting opening sentence" , " You have used some very juicy words" "I wish you would have checked your spelling".  In this way the student gets to see just what they are doing right and also what they need to work on in a particular area.  I often let the students "flip the script" and critique my teaching~ how else to we grow but through candor??!!

If your children give you the same answer daily to the question "What did you do at school today?", then this is a great little strategy to use to mix things up a bit.  To avoid the standard answer of "nothing", simply ask your child to give you 2 stars and a wish about their day.  You will get a quick snap shot of the highs and lows of the day and have a springboard for conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment